Female body shape or female figure is the cumulative product of her skeletal structure and the quantity and distribution of muscle and fat on the body.
There is a wide range of normality of female body shapes. Female figures are typically narrower at the waist than at the bust and hips. The bust, waist, and hips are called inflexion points, and the ratios of their circumferences are used to define basic body shapes.
Measure Yourself to know which Body Shape you have
To dress your body right, you have to know your body. Don’t just guess. (Believe me, mirrors can be deceiving!) So, grab a measuring tape and a friend to help you, because it’s very difficult to measure some parts of yourself and get it right. The more accurate you are now, the better you’ll look later.
Your Shoulders: This is the hardest measurement to do by yourself, so you really should ask someone to help. Place the measuring tape at the tip of one shoulder and wrap it all the way around you like a shawl until it meets back at the same shoulder. The tape should skim the top of your shoulders so closely, it almost slips off. This is the widest circumference of your shoulders.
Your Bust: Stand up straight and wrap the measuring tape around your back and across the fullest part of your breasts, usually the middle of them. Pull the measuring tape as taut as you can without changing the shape of your breasts. If things start to squish, you’ve gone too far.
Your Waist: Wrap the measuring tape around your torso, at the smallest part of your natural waist. It should wrap flat around your back without buckling and meet just above your belly button.
Your Hips: Hold the measuring tape at one hip, below your hip bone, at the fullest part of your hip. Then, keeping the tape flat, wrap it around the largest part of your butt (no cheating!), your other hip, and bring it back to the meeting point.
Now that you’ve measured yourself (shoulders, bust, waist and hips), use those numbers to help determine your silhouette shape.
- Apple Shape: This body shape describes a person who has broader shoulders and bust than they do hips.
- Pear Shape: This body shape describes a person who has hip measurements greater than their bust measurements.
- Hourglass Shape: This body shape (typically presented as the “ideal”) describes a person with hip and bust measurements nearly equal in size, with a narrower waist measurement.
- Rectangle (or ruler) shape: This body shape describes a person who typically has waist measurements that are less than 9 inches smaller than the hip or bust measurements.
- Inverted triangle shape: This body shape describes a person who has shoulders measurements greater than their hip measurements.
What body shape or body figure you have? Don’t forget to share in the comment section.
Celebrities have apple shape figure: Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Hudson, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Tyra Banks
If you have an Apple Shape Figure: Your shoulders and hips are around the same size. Apple-shaped ladies have little difference between the measurements of their chest, waist and hips. You as an apple-shaped girl have chest and waist measurements that are fairly close, but your hips are about six inches smaller than your chest.
Apple body shape traits:
- Hips and shoulders have the same width; waistline has the same width or is wider
- You gain weight mainly around the waist, at least in proportion to the other parts of your body
- You probably have slender lower legs and arms
- Your high hip is wider than your lower hip
- Your bust and/or midriff are larger than your hips
- You might be short-waisted
- Your thighs or hips are probably the narrowest part of your body
What to wear if you have an apple shaped body figure: Apple Shaped Body Figure – Here are the Wardrobe basics and outfits
Celebrities have pear shape figure: Beyoncé, Jennifer Lopez, Shakira, Kelly Clarkson
If you have a Pear Shape Figure: Your hips are wider than your shoulders, They are also wider than your bust, making them the widest area of your body. In numbers, your hip measurement is more than 5 % bigger than your shoulder or bust measurements. With a pear figure, one of your best assets is you slim midriff, which many women envy you for. Make sure to show off your killer waist and balance your wider lower half.
Pear body shape traits:
- Your hips are wider than your shoulders
- You have round, sloping shoulders
- You have a well-defined waistline (and might even have killer abs)
- Your buttocks and thighs are full and round
- Pear body shapes gain weight on their thighs
What to wear if you have a pear shaped body figure: Pear Shaped Body Figure – Here are the Wardrobe basics and outfits
Celebrities have hourglass shape figure: Kim Kardashian, Dita Von Teese, Eva Longoria
If you have an Hourglass Shape Figure: Your shoulders and hips are around the same size. Your waistline is significantly smaller. The rule of thumb here is about 75 %: Your shoulder and hip measurements are within 5 % of each other. Your waist is at least 25 % smaller than your shoulder, hip and bust measurements. Your waist is eight to 12 inches smaller than your hip or bust measurement.
Hourglass body shape traits:
- Your hips and shoulders have about the same width
- You have round and sloping shoulders
- You have a well-defined waistline
- Did we mention cleavage
- Your buttocks are rather round
- Your lower hips are wider than your high hips
- Your thighs are full but narrower than the lower hips
- Hourglass body shapes gain weight through the hips and above the waist
What to wear if you have an hourglass shaped body figure: Hourglass Shaped Body Figure – Here are the Wardrobe basics and outfits
Rectangle (or ruler) shape
Celebrities have rectangle shape figure: Anne Hathaway, Queen Latifah, Cameron Diaz
If you have a Rectangle (or ruler) Shape Figure: Rectangles have a very athletic frame. That allows them to wear boyish clothes as well as a wide range of feminine ones. Your shoulders, waistline, bust and hips are around the same size. Your shoulder, bust and hip measurements are within 5 % of each other. Your waist is less than 25 % smaller than your shoulder or bust measurements. Waist measures from one to eight inches (2.5 cm – 20 cm) smaller than the bust.
Rectangle body shape traits:
- Your hips, waistline and shoulders have about the same width
- Rectangles gain weight evenly but may gain some more through the upper back or neck
- You have rather straight shoulders
- Your buttocks are flat
- You have an athletic build and a small bustline
What to wear if you have a rectangle (or ruler) shaped body figure: Ruler / Rectangle Shaped Body Figure – Here are the Wardrobe basics and outfits
Inverted triangle shape
Celebrities have an inverted triangle body shape: Naomi Campbell, Demi Moore, Renée Zellweger, Miley Cyrus
If you have an Inverted Triangle Shape Figure: Your shoulders are wider than your hips. They are the widest part of your body. Your shoulders are more than five percent bigger than your hip measurement.
Inverted body shape traits:
- You have prominent and broad straight shoulders — wider than your waistline or hips
- You have an athletic build
- You probably have rather flat buttocks
- You might have a larger chest and fuller back than rectangles
- When inverted triangles gain weight, they usually gain it through the torso and back area
What to wear if you have an inverted triangle shaped body figure: Inverted triangle Shaped Body Figure – Here are the Wardrobe basics and outfits